Thursday, May 6, 2010

On my Netfllix queue



A few months back, a few students had begun mentioning rather excitedly to me seeing the trailer for a new feature-length documentary, "Babies." They said it made them think about me. Hmm.

This line at the end of A.O. Scott's review of the film (in The New York Times) caught my attention:

“Babies” is rated PG (Parental Guidance suggested). Breast feeding.

Because like the "intense, horrific violence and appropriately profane reactions to the prospect of same" that are featured in "The Hurt Locker," audiences need to be advised!

The above, I admit, is a cheap shot. In fact, the line caught my attention mostly because it makes me wonder about how and why audiences could not expect breast feeding to be exhibited in a documentary called "Babies." Or is this an anticipation or expectation of the Times editors that might or might not reflect the reactions of audiences themselves? I mean, could we not give each other a bit of credit.

BTW, after viewing the trailer for the film, scroll down and view the third clip from the film. I see college students do this in class more often than I like to admit - c'mon, people, I am not as boring all that, and I teach cultural anthropology, which is fascinating! - but of course they just are not as adorable as this little kiddo.

No comments:

Post a Comment